First Q Member
Mechanical and Electrical Services Design
The development of the DIT Greenway building was under a design and build (D&B) contract led by BAM Construction. The Greenway Building is a highly technical state of the art facility with numerous laboratories, write ups spaces and office areas. The building was the first new build construction on the Grangegorman campus.
Ethos Engineering were part of D&B bidding consortium and upon winning the bid competition were retained to complete the detailed design and construction monitoring of the mechanical and electrical services under the D&B contract.
Unique / Key Features
The building is a highly complex but yet was completed two months ahead of programme and on budget. The building was completed in BIM to LOD 500. The building achieved an A3 BER and BREEAM Very Good rating.
- Heat recovery on the air handling units
- Presence sensing on fume cupboards to reduce energy wastage of periods when not in use
- Strobic laboratory fan system with phoenix control valves on all terminals in laboratories with phoenix control system for variable flow
- Mixed mode cooling strategy in office / write up areas including natural ventilation and night time free cooling via motorised glazing system
- CO2 fresh air control in meeting rooms
- High efficient heating system (above 90%) with variable flow
- A rated cooling system with variable flow
- Solar thermal hot water system
- Rainwater harvesting system
- Vulcathene laboratory drainage systems
- Process gases
- Quick response oxygen depletion and gas detection systems in laboratories
- Gas detection and CO detection system in plantroom
- LED and T5 energy efficient light fittings.